1. I’m still alive! I survived my first week of student teaching. I’m completely fried right now and will be crawling into bed to catch up on all of my TV shows from this week soon (since they’re all on after my bedtime), but I’m also ridiculously happy. I’m loving it. All week I’ve been working with students on essays and a writing assignment for their reading class, and seeing how much closer the ones who were struggling are to getting it is the best feeling ever. I’m so proud of them!
2. I went to the Tour de Nerdfighteria on Monday night in Seattle. And…I actually felt old. I mean, this isn’t something that happens very often (I’m so used to being the youngest person in the room…), but at least half the audience were teenagers. Very, very enthusiastic teenagers. Enthusiastic teenagers who asked super smart questions most of the adults in the audience had probably never even considered, and who sang along to totally nerdy songs about things like Harry Potter and science, and who deserve way more credit than most adults give them.
I didn’t actually stick around for the signing, since Katelynne and I were in one of the last groups, and we both had to get up ridiculously early for work, and had an hour and a half drive to make back up to Bellingham. But just being in the same room as John Green, listening to him talking about his book, was amazing. (Hank was great, too, don’t get me wrong, but I was definitely mostly there for John.)
Also, we were sitting at the very back, so we didn’t have a good view. But I did get a picture of the van on the way out:
3. So. I think if you’ve stuck around long enough, you’ll know I’m not a morning person. At all. As Katelynne likes to say, “Mornings exist so I can sleep through them.” Which is why, the first morning I woke up at 5:30 am for work, I seriously started questioning some of my life choices. But I think seeing things like this just might be enough to convert me:
4. So, for 12/12/12 last month, I read Outlander. This month, my pick is A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. It’s about time I’m getting around to reading it. That’s all I have to say right now.
5. While I’m very disappointed the 49ers shot themselves in the foot and failed to make it to the Super Bowl (oh, THAT GAME), I’m still excited about the Super Bowl on Sunday, if only so I can root against the Patriots. Down with the Pats!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Currently Listening To: Smash Mouth – “All Star”
Currently Reading: A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin