Over the course of this week, I was tagged by multiple Campaigners in the 11 Questions game we’re passing around. So now I’m going to start answering ALL THE QUESTIONS in this post, and I’ll ask my 11 questions at the bottom, and tag some people. And…I’ll answer the rest of the questions in another post, since I don’t want this to run *too* long…
First up, from Sophs:
1. When did you start writing?
I think I’ve always had a knack for writing…I always used to get super into it back in elementary school when teachers would give us short little assignments and then I’d wind up with PAGES AND PAGES more than anyone else. But I think I actually started doing it on my own time in 8th grade, when I started writing the beginnings of a story that went through a ridiculous number of transformations and is now completely unrecognizable as OPAQUE, the sequel to the project I’m currently revising.
…I also wrote a lot of poetry back then. And I never want to see any of it again.
2. Who are your literary heroes? (/favourite authors)
John Green, J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien (who made me start writing fantasy), Jane Austen, Sherman Alexie, Tamora Pierce, and Laura Ingalls Wilder (for being the one to get me reading in the first place)
3. What is your favourite fictional character?
It’s a tie between Katniss from The Hunger Games and Hermione from Harry Potter, because on the surface they both seem like they have everything figured out, when really there’a lot of uncertainty and vulnerability beneath all of that.
4. What genre(s) do you write?
High fantasy. Although I did experiment with dystopia during this past year’s NaNo, and I’m planning to return to that story once I finish my fantasy trilogy.
5. What is your favourite book, tv show and film?
Book – The Hunger Games
TV Show – Grey’s Anatomy
Film – The Princess Bride
6. What is your favourite place you’ve visited in the world?
I don’t think I can pick any one place in particular. I think I’m going to have to go with the Washington/Oregon/NorCal coastline. It’s pretty amazing. (I thought about doing a picspam to answer this question, but I’ve done multiple ones on this blog already. Google it if you don’t know what I’m talking about!)
In the interest of full disclosure, the only places I’ve been outside the U.S. are Vancouver and Victoria, Canada. Which, considering I only live like a half hour from the border, doesn’t even really count. I really do need to start thinking about trying to get over to Europe soon, though…
7. What is your favourite music?
I can listen to and appreciate just about anything. But most of my iPod is country, folk, poppy emo stuff, or club music. Here’s my Last.fm station so you can see.
8. Have you ever written fanfic?/Opinions on it?
I went through a phase in 8th and 9th grade where I wrote some, but I grew out of that pretty fast. It’s pretty cool if it’s your thing…it’s just not for me.
9. Where is your favourite place to write?
There’s a coffee shop around the corner from my apartment. (Actually, there are many coffee shops around the corner from my apartment.) I try to go there about once a week, because I can actually get things done there without my roommates distracting me. Which happens a lot. Plus, the baristas all know me because I’m there so often, so that’s pretty cool.
10. Tea or Coffee?
Both. I used to be strictly coffee, with occasional tea-drinking, but since I started teaching, I’ve actually been drinking way more tea than coffee these days. So far as I’ve been able to tell, it’s sort of a teacher thing. (My favorites: any white tea, wild raspberry, and mint. Sweetened with honey.)
11. Have you ever taken part in NaNoWriMo?/ Opinions on it?
I’ve done it every year since 2006, and I keep doing it, even though I’ve only won once (2007). I think it’s a great way to convince myself to just sit down and write without reservation, and it’s a great way to meet people!
Next up, from W.Chaser:
1. If you could be any fictional baddie who would you be and why?
I think I’m going to have to go with Cersei Lannister from the A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin (well, aside from the whole incest thing). She spends a lot of time scheming and betraying, but she’s smart and fierce, and even though she’s sort of a terrible person, she’s still one of my favorite characters in the series.
2. If you could go back in time and stop someone being born who would it be?
No one. I mean, if you stop someone from being born, who knows what all the possible repercussions of that could be? And then what? Thinking about it all makes my head spin. (And I have a degree in history, so I’ve spent a bit of time looking at things like this…)
3. When do you get your most inspirational ideas?
In the shower. Which also happens to be where I make most of my life decisions.
4. If you had to live without either books or music, which would it be?
Music. I love both, but I think I would die without books.
5. Who provides the most encouragement for your writing?
All of you! =) But seriously, though, most of my RL friends don’t understand. (Although since most of them are busy honing their zombie-slaying skills or playing Quidditch, I think I’ll forgive them for this. And…I’m being serious here. College is a beautiful place.)
6. If you could have one wish, what would it be?
To rid the world of intolerance…because hate isn’t cool.
7. Do you remember your dreams and do they influence your writing?
I only remember my dreams if they’re exceptionally weird. And they’ve never influenced my writing.
8. What word do you frequently misspell?
Conscience, conscious, basically all of those pesky sc combinations, really.
9. How much influence in your writing do you take from other people’s opinions?
I take advice if I feel that it would be the best thing for my story. (Fortunately, I have CPs who give very good advice.) Also, if I get stuck, I’ll bounce ideas off people. But when I write, I write the story I feel like I have to tell…so I’d never take advice or pay attention to opinions I don’t think would make that story better.
10. If there is one book you wish you’d written, what is it?
Any of John Green’s books. So not fair.
11. Starter or Desert?
Dessert is the most important meal of the day =)
Next, from Jess (I didn’t do questions I’ve already answered variations of):
1. What’s your favorite song?
I don’t know that I have a favorite song, so much as songs I go through phases in playing on repeat. I will admit freely and without shame, however, that I know all the words to “I’m On A Boat.”
4. If you could be any animal in the world, what would you be? Why?
I’d be a unicorn, because unicorns are awesome. And totally exist.
5. If you were the main character of a book, what genre would it be?
Probably chick lit.
6. What is the coolest thing you’ve ever done?
I graduated from college. That was pretty cool.
7. If you could be a character from any book, who would you be? Why?
Any of John Green’s books, because I’m seriously lacking in the love interests skilled in witty repartee department.
9. What’s your favorite thing to do, other than write?
Read documents from medieval inquisition trials. And no, I’m totally not kidding.
10. If you could meet one historical figure, who would it be?
Isabella of France, because that woman was fierce.
11. Is there anything else we should know about you?
I make some pretty rad mac & cheese. (Obviously, I can’t think of anything more interesting at the moment.)
Next, from Sarah (again, didn’t answer duplicates):
1. What setting best describes you?
Hmm…I’m not *quite* sure what this one means…I think I’m going to say a coastal setting? Because when the weather’s nice and whatever, it can be the best place ever. But if you get the ocean mad…well, you really don’t want to do that =)
2. What was your favorite childhood book?
Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder. It is the reason I read as much as I do now.
4. Besides reading and writing what are at least two of your favorite pastimes?
I think I already covered my fascination with medieval inquisition trials? Maybe now would be a good time to mention some of my less morbid interests, like hiking, or baking. (I have it on good authority that my cherry almond scones are pretty bomb.)
6. Whose writing inspires you the most and why?
I think I’m going to have to go with Tolkien, because he’s the reason I started writing fantasy in the first place. I try to reread Lord of the Rings every couple years, and every time I do, I get this urge to create. (More than I already do, I mean.)
7. If any character from any book could be your best friend, who would it be?
I’m pretty sure I’d want Hermione to have my back in a fight, just saying.
9. If you could be invisible for one day, what would you do?
Probably sit in my room and read, completely uninterrupted. Which sounds boring, but really, I’d get so much more done if people didn’t keep making demands on my time…
10. What famous person (dead or alive) do you consider a role model for your own aspirations?Well, aside from the adultery and possible brutal murder, I think I’m going to have to go with my girl Isabella on this one. She was intelligent, compassionate (when she wasn’t supposedly having her husband put to death – which there is no historical evidence of aside from propaganda), fierce, and did an excellent job shaking things up while still working within the system. And, I can only imagine she had excellent clothes.
And…I still have two or three of these to do…so I’ll post them in a different post since this one is already SO LONG. So. My questions:
1. Paper or plastic?
2. If you were to write a fairy tale retelling, which one would you pick?
3. What is your day job (if you have one)?
4. Where do you buy most of your books?
5. What is your favorite color?
6. If you’re an iTunes user, what is the most-played song in your iTunes library?
7. Do you usually write in first person or third person?
8. Why do you write in the genre that you write in?
9. What is your favorite writing snack?
10. What would your Patronus be?
11. If you were trapped on a deserted island, what is the one thing you couldn’t live without?
And I tag…anyone who feels like doing this. Because I’m too lazy to go searching for people who haven’t already been tagged, and whatever. If you do answer these questions, feel free to leave a comment so I can check out your answers =)
I will spam you all with more 11 questions later.