Currently Listening To: Maroon 5 – “Moves Like Jagger”
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart
I’ve gotta go finish packing for this weekend, so this post is going to come at you fast! Hopefully I’ve managed to avoid the most glaring typos 🙂
1. I’ve been really slacking on the blogging lately because LIFE. I’ve been too distracted to sit down and draft an actual blog post (aside from book reviews, obviously, because I’ve already got notes written out for those, anyway), but Twitter and Tumblr are always the better places to reach me, anyway.
2. I applied for a few jobs down where my parents live, but then was offerred a position substitute teaching, and ended up back where I was to begin with. I started this week, and it’s challenging, but it will give me a lot of practice and a lot of opportunities to network, so it’s pretty much the best job I could have right now.
3. When I’m working in classrooms, I like to see what kids are reading, since obviously I’m working closely with my intended audience. I was in an elementary school yesterday, where I saw a couple kids reading Harry Potter. (SO HAPPY to see kids still discovering that one!). Today I was in a middle school, and Rick Riordan is definitely a huge hit there – which was true of my classes from student teaching last spring – and I also saw a student reading The Forest of Hands and Teeth. (They were taking a quiz today, so, sadly, I never got a chance to discuss that one.)
4. A good friend of mine from college got married a couple weekends ago in Southern California, and I was able to fly down there to be in her wedding. It was a wonderful wedding, and everything was book themed, which was awesome. And, of course, me being me, I cried pretty much the entire time. I had a blast that weekend, but definitely missed my coffee, trees, and clean air.
5. I outlined my NaNo on Wednesday. Long-time readers of this blog will be shocked, since I’ve always been a notorious pantser, but seriously…I’m a plotter now, through and through. Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I’m going to return to wrapping up that draft of SHARDS I’ve been working on since the summer. I got really distracted and unmotivated during that whole period when I was unemployed and living with my parents and all that, but now that I’m working again and I’m keeping busy and have some sort of routine to follow, it should be way easier to get those last couple thousand words out. (Like, seriously. That’s how little I have left in this draft. I…don’t do well without structure.)
And that’s what I’ve been up to lately. Now it’s time for me to run off and throw a couple more things in my bag. I hope everyone has a great weekend!